Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Accepting the Facts

Today after a mall play date, some friends met for lunch in the (un)fabulous food court. As we were leaving, Nicole and I started chatting about our blogs (we are addicted, you know...is there a support group?). Anyways, I said something about how her blog was specific to saving money and she said I was a Mommy Blogger. In my mind, I balked. I'd thought it but shunned the idea.

"A Mommy Blogger? No, that couldn't be true."

I did not want to be a Mommy Blogger. It sounded so old-fashioned and worn out. It made me think of June Clever and 1960's television. I wanted to be COOL and HIP and FRESH!
But, as I drove home, I started thinking, I am NOT cool, I am NOT hip, and I am NOT fresh (well, I do usually shower every day, but see, that's pulling me towards a mommy blog post) But, I am also not a craft blog or a news blog or a celebrity blog. I know little about fashion and shop sales for clothes so I am definitely not an up-to-date fashion blogger.
Then...reality set in and I realized, I am a Mommy Blogger. I am a Mommy, I am a Blogger, and I love both. Is it really that bad?
After some research online, I found an article that lists the 25 basic styles of blogging, and I felt that my blog fell into the "Life Blogging" category, or "Reality Blogging". Now, that's not so bad...reality t.v. is (was?) all the rage and that is one reason blogs are so popular...everyone likes to take a peek into the lives of someone else without appearing to be too nosy. Granted the "difficulty level" of Life Blogging is ranked at "Easy", but I am okay with that...I have a husband, three children, and a life to live, filled with church callings, PTA, MOM, and ME!
I googled "Mommy Blog" and I found this site, The Mom Blogs, and it looks HIP and COOL. Maybe I will list my blog there and become HIP and COOL by association, right? Then I saw a title, "How to change the World, the Ultimate Blog List"...Hello, if we're changing the world, then sign me up! There are a few things I'd like to change. #1...potty training (we should just send the kids away to booty camp) #2...picky eaters (another camp, maybe at the same time so I get a vacation!) #3...the economy
Then I saw "Five Reasons Why Mom Blogs are the Blogs to Watch!" I read the article, shaking my head in agreement the entire time. "Mom blogs are poised to become the next big “It” when it comes to the internet–they’re gathering power like no other blogging niche and will only get bigger and better." (from article)
I guess being a Mommy Blogger is not so bad. I like to think that a few of you out there read my blog and say, "Man, her life sucks next to mine!" or..."What a great idea, maybe I'll try that with my kids." Maybe even a, "Oh, girl, I have been there and done that. Here's how I fixed that problem." Why would I shun what I love? I love reading various blogs by friends and strangers alike. I am addicted to seeing what happens next in the lives of those around me, how they handle issues, and if they post comments back (boy do I get a little internet high for comments!). I am a Mommy Blogger just like I am a Mormon, a member of the PTA (sad as it may be), and a scrapbooker. There is nothing to be ashamed of about being who you are.
Maybe next time someones says something about my blog being a Mommy Blog, I won't freak out on the inside (what was my deal, I mean, I'm a Mom for crying out loud!), but say, "Oh, I hope you like it, and if you don't, you can go jump off a tree."

5 Words to brighten my day:

Megan R. said...

Great post! Mine is definitely a Mommy blog too, and honesty, those are my favorite types of blogs to read! I think they are the most realistic, and the most interesting.

Lexi said...

Some of the coolest blogs I read are Mommy blogs- I have looked at blogs of writers, graphic designers, photographers, cooks and more and the one thing they all have in common is that they are Mommy Bloggers too.

Your blog is a good mix of family life as well as your creative niche with cake decorating and party throwing.

I love to read about what you're up to because it's never a dull moment. I never think 'Blah, blah, blah- more about her being a Mom!'

I think 'I really need to try that with Peyton' or 'How did she make that cake? That's awesome!' So never fear, Mommy Blogs are what keep Blogger in business- guaranteed!

Kimberly said...

I love your blog Jess!! It is personal and real. I want to start one, but need a good name/title first. And I was also thinking, what would I blog about? I SAH so how interesting could my life be? But in truth everything that we do is what makes us who we are. I think I am funny, loving, opinionated and REAL person. That is the kind of stuff I want to read about. So KUDDOS to you for being a MoMMy BLoGGeR!!!

Nicole said...

We are addicted and a support group would be great. LOL!
No, seriously, I love your blog. You have a great sense of humor and it shows in your posts. So, keep on blogging, mommy!

The Awesome Rawsons said...

I don't think everything needs a category. your blog is a reflection of your thought and the events that predominate your life and that's awesome. its mommy, life, reality, and anything else that happens to happen. it is what it is and i like it that way!