Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day BBQ

This year, I invited Diana and her family over for a Memorial Day BBQ, something I had wanted to do for a while (invite her over, not BBQ). When I was double checking if she was going to come or not between church meetings, I decided to invite the new family at church as well, Devin and Mackesha and their adorable baby, Jackson. Then, I thought I had heard Bart inviting another family over, so I asked them if they were coming...our small BBQ had turned into a big event!
I was nervous during church, making lists and calculating the number of burgers versus the number of hot dogs we would need to prepare. We got home and started cleaning right away. I did weed eating, Bart cut the grass, and the boys watched a movie. Our jungle backyard had been slightly neglected, so it took us a while to get it in presentable order.
Monday had the possibility of rain, but we went ahead and filled the pirate pool on Sunday just in case it did not rain. We hoped the sun would warm it up enough for the five kids to get in and that the predictions would prove wrong. (We were right in both areas)
Monday morning we rushed around cleaning, shopping, and baking. I baked sugar cookies, a tres leche cake (holy cow was it good!) and a lemon meringue pie.
After the baking and cleaning was done, I ran some cookies to the women I visit teach, since they live so close and Bart relaxed, enjoying being off.
I got this idea in my mind (very last minute) to make star decorations with my cricut that would be used as drink markers for the kids. I cut starts out and used a paring knife to cut a slit at the top and bottom.
Brennan and Jackson could not wait for our guests to arrive so they jumped in the pool. I pulled Brennan out long enough to test out his straw.
I think he liked it! I know I thought they were adorable and I plan on creating something like them for Brennan's birthday party.
Our friends arrived, family by family, between 4-6 o'clock. Bart threw the burgers, hot dogs, sausage, and brats on the grill and we all relaxed, chit chatting, playing with the two babies, and just having fun.
The food was ready and we all dug in. Lucky for us we have a card table, otherwise some people would have had to held food on their laps! Everything was great. Diana brought a pasta salad, Mackesah baked beans, and Lindsey brought sodas.
I am so glad we did this. It was a bit nerve racking at times but a lot of good things came out of it:

  1. My house is still clean (well, except the bedroom where I hid that one basket of stuff that did not have a home)
  2. We had a great time getting to hang out with our friends.
  3. The kids were so worn out from swimming and playing that they slept very late: Bren, 8:15, Ethan, 8:35, Jack, 8:50...all three of those unheard of times!
  4. I did not cook dinner last night because we ate leftover BBQ!
I think we will do this more often, because I love entertaining and doing things just for the heck of it.

What did you do this Memorial Day?



3 Words to brighten my day:

MommyRU said...

Nanna was looking over my shoulder earlier and said.."I want those cookies and straws too! Please make me some!"
Doesn't she know I am not the awesome baker you are??

Diana said...

It was all yummy and fun to chat and watch the kids play around!!!
thanks for inviting us!!

Megan R. said...

dang it, woman! I wanted to see pics of the pirate pool!