Friday, January 16, 2009

Popcorn Words and The Hybrid Kid

I am a Hooligan. A Hybrid Hooligan Team member that is.

The Hybrid Kid is a great site that offers projects for moms and teachers to "print, create, learn". There are freebies, such as the Reindeer food packaging, which I thought was too adorable and used on some baggies for a few friends in Omaha. There's projects, such as the popcorn pack that Brennan and I used the other day. And there's even crafts, which is right up my alley. It's a great mix of digital goodies and printables, and I have enjoyed checking it out.

My first project as a Hybrid Hooligan Team member was to test out the Popcorn Word Pack. It is advertised as "A great way to help your little learner start recognizing those high frequency words they will need to know in Kindergarten." (from site) All I had to do was print, use my paper cutter to slice a few letters apart (I could have used scissors), and let Brennan go to town.
Honestly, Brennan already knew the words on the list and the chart, but he had fun playing with the letters spelling out words he knew. Pictured here Brennan is working on d-o-g and c-a-t. After he did the few words I threw his way, he went to town, spelling out (Star Wars) c-l-o-n-e w-a-r-s and f-r-i-e-n-d and a few others.
The pack is only $2, super easy to download, and a lot of fun. I recommend it to anyone who has a child who has mastered the alphabet and is ready for a little bit of a challenge. I think I will put mine away until Jackson is a little older and then I will be able to start working with him on the words. Brennan might just throw his Captain Underpants book he is busy reading at me if I have him read the site words one more time, but that's okay...as long as he is reading, I am happy. :-)






Sweet Success! Brennan becomes a Jedi Master of the Popcorn Word Pack!

As always, don't forget to enter my contest, ending 2/1. Click HERE to go enter.

2 Words to brighten my day:

Anonymous said...

I love it! We have a seven year old big Star Wars fan at our house!

Lisa said...

Fun! We're Star Wars fans here, too.