Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Cake I Made


I learned something new this weekend...when planning out a cake to decorate...plan more then the flavor and that you want a three tier high cake. It will really help speed up the final decorating process.
Also, fondant is your friend...It hides those mistakes of frosting the cake. Why was I lazy and why did I not make the fondant? I don't know, but it took forever to get the frosting semi-smooth and you can see my errors in the picture.
Another thing, where did my very small straight piping tip go? I had to use some wacky tip to write "Happy Birthday" and it looks ridiculous.
While we are at it, what is the difference between frosting and icing, anyways???

Oh, well...at least Jackson liked it. He was dying to eat it before I left, saying, "I eat cupcake now?"
I guess it does kind of (in a toddler's kind of way) look like a cupcake.

6 Words to brighten my day:

KarenW said...

That looks great, Jessica! Love IT!

Dawne said...

That cake looks amazing! I'd also like to add that sprinkles, like fondant, hide lots of flaws! :)

Lexi said...

Frosting is apparently thicker than icing and contains more of a fat base (like butter). Icing is thinner (thicker than a glaze but not as thick as frosting which is thickest) and usually is made up of more of a sugar base like confectioners sugar. So if you think that ice in nature is usually thin and frost is usually thicker and more visible, it will help you keep the two straight. I had to look it up too since I didn't know the difference either. Also, it's different in different parts of the country- some people will say that you ice a cake, some will say that you frost a cake. How confusing! Here is where I found the info:

http://www.foodproductdesign.com/articles/463/7bh3010374832724.html

Very interesting!

Lexi said...

P.S.- I think your cake looks amazing- you don't want to see what it would look like if I were to attempt that same thing- and your cake would put some cakes I've seen in bakeries to shame. So although you see flaws, I just see cuteness!

Anonymous said...

That looks like a fantastic cake!
I'm nowhere near being this talented at decorating a cake but I'm a huge fan of fondant too!

Megan R. said...

I'm kicking it old school, and commenting on stuff from January, now. That cake at the MOM party was SO cute, and totally delish!!