Friday, November 14, 2008

Kim's Apple Cider

A few years ago (2006 I think), right before we moved to Omaha, the Wesley's had a Christmas Party at their home. This Christmas Party was of course as great as could be. At this Christmas Party, Kim served homemade cider that was so good, I still remember it and until today, have wished I knew how to make it. (I often think this of the things Kim makes...she is just so good at it!)
Well, tomorrow I am (hopefully) going to a Mom's Night In at a friend's house and I am decided to bring this delicious drink as my contribution to the food table. Yeah, not food, but who cares?
So, without further ado, I am sharing (without Kim's permission...hope you don't mind!) the recipe Kim gave to me.
Oh, and I made it up tonight and it is just as good as I remember it being. I halved the recipe so it would fit in my pot, and tomorrow I am going to make it again so I bring one full gallon to the party, since we kind of sort of drank a bit of it!

Kim's Apple Cider

2 c. sugar

1 quart water

2-4 cinnamon sticks

10-12 whole cloves

7-10 allspice berries

1 inch of a ginger root

1 can frozen orange juice

1 can frozen lemonade

1 gallon apple cider


  1. Mix sugar and water and bring to boil for five minutes.

  2. Remove from heat.

  3. Peel and cut ginger root up into small pieces.

  4. Add spices and let sit for one hour. If you have one of those tea things or cheese clothes, use that so removing the spices is easy.

  5. While the syrup cools, take one 12 oz. can of frozen orange juice and add two cans of water (not three as the directions on can tell you to). In the same container, add 6 oz. of the frozen lemonade concentrate and 1 ½ cans of water.

  6. Add juice mix and 1 gallon of apple cider to syrup. Mix and heat to desired temperature.

4 Words to brighten my day:

Jenn said...

Soooo glad you posted this. I was thinking about how awesome that party was and how I wanted to have one of my own since I'm not throwing a surprise party for Markus. :)

Lexi said...

Sweet. Thank you so much Jess and Kim! I love this cider. I once drank too much and got a tummy ache ;-)

Stacy Hutchinson said...

We just had Kim's cider during the LSU-Tulane game. I had three cupfuls. It is so delicious!

Doobie Star said...

Thank you for sharing! I have a ballet party for my daughter next weekend and now I know what I'll be bringing!