Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fire Drill at Wal-Mart?

Today I finally remembered to go to Wal-Mart to pick up some Lantiseptic for Jack's flaming rear end. There just really is no better diaper rash cream, in my opinion. (this product can only be found behind the counter, smells like an old man, and is a miracle cream)

While there, I decided to go ahead and get the few things we were running low on (eggs, milk, bread, Lucky Charms...the usual) and a b.day present for a friend of Bren.

Jack was behaving himself, thanks in part to the doll I let him bring with him in the basket that he found interesting during our search for a girl b.day present (hairbows and a My Little Pony...sound okay?) and I was almost done when a siren starts to go off in the store. I pause, look around, and wait and see if anyone else heads to the front of the store.

No one does.

Okay, so is the store testing it's alarm? Did the deli catch fire as they dropped some delicious chicken stripes in to fry? Was someone trying to see if they could steal something by pulling an alarm? What is going on?

No one came over the intercom.

I continued shopping.

UNTIL...overly upset Wal-Mart associate comes charging at me yelling, "There's a fire! Get out!" WHAT?!?!?!

I asked why they were not announcing on the loud speaker that there was a fire and we needed to exit. I mean, seriously, fire alarms don't really go off in W.M. The front door "somebody forgot to deactivate your stuff" alarm, sure, but fire? Not really.

Anyways, because the lady was so upset, I figured I should make my way to the front of the store. Along the way, I passed abandoned baskets and people looking confused. A group of shoppers stood around, questioning what was going on. I told them I wasn't sure but we better head to the front of the store or the crazy worker would come "get us".

We all head towards the front...I've made it to produce...and the announcement finally comes over the load speaker...

"Associates and shoppers, please disregard this alarm as it is a drill to test the system. Thank you."

They couldn't have announced that five minutes before? Before crazy associate tells me there's fire? Before all those people abandoned their baskets and went outside?

Good thing Bren wasn't with me. He would probably never set foot in a Wal-Mart again, because he'd be scared of it happening again and the loud noises and the crazy lady.

Jack, though...he just played with the doll.



You know, I just thought of something. This is the W.M. I am "banned" from (by Bart)...something crazy happens almost every time I go there. Why should I be surprised that a fire alarm was tested while I was there? Seems to be my norm for that store.

2 Words to brighten my day:

Kathy said...

That is soooo funny! I can't believe that happened. Weird.

Destination Davis said...

Hilarious Story!!! Hope you are feeling well! Love ya!