Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sewing

I have a love/hate relationship with sewing.  I started sewing as a little child, using my mother's scraps to make tube dresses for Barbie.
I won my first competition at the age of 11, entering a local fair...I sewed a skirt and vest, maybe the shirt?  I can't remember that far back...
I did sewing in high school for 4-h, winning the state competition my senior year for a painstakingly sewn plaid sleeveless dress.  Every single stripe matched up perfectly on that dress.

There are times when I love sewing, and times when I hate it.  I hate sewing curtains, thus our home has had 1/2 its curtains done for the living room for 2 years.  I hate the cutting out of patterns or fabrics.  That part bores me to death and you have to be so precise...I just don't love that pressure.  But I sure love seeing my finished product.

A few weeks ago I helped a fashion designer friend of mine, sewing on a beautiful royal blue formal dress (I can't wait to see it finished!)  I am going to be helping her some more in the next few weeks as she prepares for her fall fashion show in October (stay tuned for all the details on that one!)...this has me really excited as I don't have to do the "grunt" work on this, just the actual sewing.  I really hate the pinning and cutting out part so I will leave all of that work to ES.  ;)

Ethan sporting the pants I made.
Today I sewed the cutest little simple skirt and I loved it.  I can't wait to make a few more to compliment my neck ties to sell at the Millard West Craft Fair (Sept. 24).  I used some fabric I've had for probably six years, always wondering what to do with it.  Once I made Jackson and Ethan simple elastic waist pants for church out of it, but the rest has sat, begging to be used, for years.  And it finally has a purpose.  It always amazes me how you can take a piece of fabric and turn it into whatever you want.  There are probably thousands of tutorials out there for sewing and crafting with fabrics to prove it. 

Check out this adorable skirt my sister made to sell in my craft fair:
Isn't it just adorable?  I totally want an adult sized one.

So, what do you have a love/hate relationship with?  Because you can bet, the closer the craft fair gets, the more I will hate sewing...




2 Words to brighten my day:

Jess said...

I have that same problem with sewing and scrapbooking.....and school. I love learning, but I hate putting all of that work into it.

I used the remainder of the fabric from the wedding to make curtains for our living room, they're almost done...I have to make the tabs. I kinda stopped making them and they were sitting in the corner and justin put them over the window with the chip clips we got. LOL

Amber M. said...

LOVE, love the skirt! When you make one for you, make one for me, too??? Please?

Glad your son made the Alabama call. Good to make a stand when you're young. We decided to play it safe and just keep our hearts with the Huskers. Go Big Red!

Have a good week!