Wednesday, November 11, 2009

27 Days of Thankfulness, Day 10 & 11

It's MY blog, so if I want to group days 10 and 11 together, I can.
So there!

I am thankful for Phineas and Ferb, on Disney. I really want to cancel cable, I do. It's a $50 a month bill that is not necessary. We did just fine for YEARS without cable, and we would do just fine if we were to cancel cable again.
However, there is this show. This kids show. On Disney.
Phineas and Ferb.
It sucks you in EVERY TIME. But, it is also every educational.
Seriously.

Did you know that the doo-dad on the end of your tennis shoe is called an aglet.

Now you do. And it is all because of Phineas and Ferb. If anyone wants to buy me the complete series, then I will gladly cancel cable.

Oh, why am I going on about the AGLET you might ask? Because yesterday (day 10 of my journey of thanks), I woke up with...

Wait for it...

The aglet song stuck in my head. Yep. And it's been there ever since. I total get where Candace is coming from on the "It doesn't matter" front.

And...DAY 11.

Did you know that I am an award winning poet. Yep. True story.

In sixth grade (Ha, you probably were like, "What, she won an award for writing? Recently? No way, her writing sucks.") my dad was overseas as part of Operation Desert Storm. We lived in Leesville, LA, where my dad was stationed at Fort Polk. Although we did not live on base, a large majority of the students were Army brats at my school.

There was a poetry contest for Veteran's Day, and I, as everyone was forced to do, entered the contest...the winner got a trophy and the "privilege" of reading the award winning poem at a Veteran's Day assembly. However, I waited until the night before the contest to even attempt to write something. I remember being very tired and overly stressed about this stupid contest. I quickly jotted down a few lines of rhyme, then went to bed. I turned it in and sat down with relief. I was done.

Then, the poetry was judged and mine won! Third place, but still, I got a trophy and had to read it in front of the entire school. I remember thinking, "Those judges must be dumb to have picked mine", but whatever.

I think I still have that trophy, and because I took a sharpie marker and wrote on the bottom of it the words to the poem, it has been engraved in my memory (sort of like the dumb aglet song that was the first thing to pop in my mind yesterday morning), though a few bits have gone on vacation...

So, without further ado, I present...

MY POEM (w/ a few missing links):

I'm proud of the presidents, good and strong,
Proud of the wars, fought and won,
I'm proud of you dad, over there now,
You've help me to become
A Proud American.


Now imagine Lee Greenwood singing "Proud to an American" as he stood in Tiger Stadium at half time of the LSU vs. LA Tech Homecoming game in 2007, surrounded by thousands of adoring fans drunken captives.

Oh, wait...you don't have to imagine. Through the power of Youtube (possibly day 12's thanksgiving???), you can BE IN TIGER STADIUM and hear it, too...now since I am working right now, I can't preview, so hopefully this version has no drunken cussing in the background and is okay. If not, leave a comment and I will find another.

There you have it folks, giving thanks for the Aglet and America.


2 Words to brighten my day:

Cathi said...

P&F is the best show ever! The kids are quiet and glued to the TV while it is on - and I love all their catchy tunes - get the soundtrack with the videos!

Lexi said...

Phineas and Ferb are awesome. It hooks kids and husbands too ! :-)