Thursday, June 28, 2007

Brennan the Brave



About two years ago, Brennan decided there were two things he hated more than anything else in the world...haircuts (thank you Nicole for always being patient) and doctor visits. Now, it wasn't like Brennan had experienced any trauma with the doctor. He's only had two ear infections his entire life and pink eye once, it's not like this child has been in and out of the doctor's office. Basically, he's been "as healthy as a horse" (as if that is something you would want to be compared to) but you had to hold him down in with a Vulcan death grip if the doctor was going to get within three feet of him.
So, this morning as I was getting ready to take Brennan to the doctor for his four year check-up, I was a bit apprehensive about the events that were about to unfold. I kept a positive face on for Brennan, but deep down, I was dreading 9:30, appt. time.
As we waited to be called back, I explained to Brennan YET AGAIN that doctors (and dentist, that was added to his hate list at age 3) do not hurt you but help you stay healthy. Our name was called and Brennan became invisible behind me, whimpering and holding my shirt.
When the nurse took us to get weighed and measured (41.3 lb.s and 43 inches tall), I kept smiling and pointing out how nice the nurse was, how neat the scale was (it really was, it is digital and fast and shaped like some sort of exercise machine at the gym) and how cool those Thomas the Train stickers were for after the visit. Well, height and weight was a success, only a few tears. (Brennan is usually in tears before we have him in on the scale)
I'm not going to bore you with the details of the entire visit, but needless to say, I AM IMPRESSED! Brennan was a total 'big boy'. He (cautiously, he was still nervous!) climbed onto the table without me having to hold him down like I was Macho Man trying to win a WWE wrestling match, let the doctor listen and poke and prod, and he even participated in the reflex part with only a few tears, much less than is usually shed when a balloon pops in Brennan's presence.
I still am wondering where my hell's angel possessed by the crazies child went, but I will gladly take this guy any day.

1 Words to brighten my day:

Lexi said...

Ahhh the things I have to look forward to. I'm sure any time now Peyton's going to start putting one and one together and figure out that he also despises the dr.'s office. Way to go Brennan for overcoming the dr willies! I saw your post earlier about the cake competition on Food Network- I love those! It's worse than a scary movie for me when they have to transport their cakes to the judging table without busting them up. Troy and I sit entranced watching those episodes. They had an awesome one a while back of villain cakes and the coolest one was Captain Hook with Smee and the crocodile. It was perfect! Glad to know I'm not the only one that likes to watch people cook!