Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Selfless Act

Eight months ago, a mother said goodbye.
She probably kissed his head gently, wrapped her pinkie around his adorable little fist.
She handed her newborn off to another, a stranger, never to see this child, this being who began with her and another, again.
He was cared for and loved by a foster family until the time came for him to make a journey.
The journey home to a new family, a new continent, a new chance at life.
Home, where his mother and father waited with tears in their eyes and arms outstretched.

When I think of that first mother, I think of her bravery. Some might say she took the easy road, handing her problems to another.
Me, I think it is one of the most selfless things a woman can do...give her child to another, knowing she can never care for him in the way his new family can and will.

And knowing the mother and sisters of this boy, I know he will be loved exactly as if eight months ago, he had come from his new mother...his only mother.

I am so grateful I was able to be a part of this event...witness the first moment, even if from afar, as mother and father and sisters saw son for the first time.
It made me appreciate my children a little more. Hug Jackson a little longer. Fuss at Brennan a little less. And love them all a little more.

It made me feel grateful for my husband, and that I never had to say goodbye. It made me grateful for our Father in Heaven, who loves each and every one of us so much that he puts trials of faith in our lives to help us become stronger...in this instance, both first mother and second were tested. He sent each of us here to become better people and to find joy each and every day. He knows the sorrow of loss and the joy of reunion. He will help heal the wounded hearts and accept the thanks sent His way for the miracle from Him...knowing exactly what second mother's family needed and how to bless them with that desire...even if it was not in the way the family at first imagined.

Thanks for letting me and my family be a part of that...even if from afar.

2 Words to brighten my day:

Lexi said...

What a wonderful post. I think it would be too hard for me to pass my sweet little bundle on (even if I knew it was for the best interest of the little one because it would be SO heart wrenching) so I am in awe of others who make one of the ultimate sacrifices so that their child can have a better life. What an awesome thing to see. I hope the biological mother is ok and knows somewhere in her heart how very much this baby will be loved!

Cindy said...

wow. what a great post! made my eyes a little teary, so heartfelt!

I really enjoyed reading this.

The baby is very loved- near and far!