Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Growing Up, Even When I am trying not to let him...

Today is Jackson's FIFTH birthday.
Usually months before a party, I start dreaming of a theme, favors, decorations, etc. (Bren's 8th: MAN party Ethan's 3rd: probably super heros...not 100% yet)
This time I didn't. I could say it is because the craft fair got in the way, but that is not true, I'd have had time to do it all.
It's just that...even though Jackson is the MIDDLE child, meaning Brennan's done it all already (JACK starts school in AUGUST!) and Ethan is the LAST to do it. Doesn't the middle child get lost? But...I do not feel this is the case.
Here is the thing. Of all the boys, Jackson is the one I cherish as a young child the most. Does that even make sense? It's like we have a connection, and I fear as he gets older, maybe we will lose it? IDK.
SO...because I was feeling desperate and worried (how could Jack NOT have something awesome on the day of...would he realize it was lame compared to last years?), Jack and I went to the store. And he picked out balloons (lime green, baby blue, and silver...GREAT color combo!), party favors, and a drink (Root Beer). He decided his birthday dinner (GeeGah's famous fried chicken, fries, shells n cheese and peas). He picked the birthcake ice cream from the freezer section.  Oh, and his cake?  A green and blue SLIMER cake (Ghostbusters)...lucky for me he has a Slimer shirt, so I feel less guilty about not whipping up some sort of awesomeness in that department :)
I let him be a big kid. And he loved it and is SO EXCITED for his party tonight. Even though I didn't do anything fancy.
Sigh.
Even when I tried to avoid him growing up by ignoring the fact that his birthday was coming...he still grew up on me.  And me...I think I grew up a little, too.  (Cause, yeah, letting HIM pick that stuff out...HUGE deal.  Like, I am usually 100% in control of ALL aspects of birthdays, including themes that I convince birthday child will be "just perfect!" for them...though usually, I am right ;) )

4 Words to brighten my day:

Stacy Hutchinson said...

I was the same way for Ian's 4th birthday this year. I actually cried a little because I'm realizing how fast these kids grow up and I can't put it in reverse. Ian and Jackson sound similar. Both middle kids and both heart string pullers. Jackson is adorable. I love the ties you make. You are a crafty machine!

Anonymous said...

When anyone sighs and talks about "the middle child being fogotten", well, I just seeth. It's like fingers on a chalkboard.(I'm not fussing at you - I'm fussing at people who hurl the middle son syndrome of forgottenness on my son. My son would hear people say that and then he would use it to define himself - as forgotten, looked over. So I came up with a different set of words to express what I saw, a different way of looking at it - I call it "The Cente of the Brotherhood." LOL

I did a post on it (what do you expect from a bloggy mom) - skip the picts and read about the awesomeness of being the center of the brotherhood: http://bluecottonmemory.wordpress.com/2010/03/19/the-center-of-the-brotherhood/


Happy 5th Birthday. It sounds like it was specially designed for who he is:)))))

Anonymous said...

When anyone sighs and talks about "the middle child being fogotten", well, I just seeth. It's like fingers on a chalkboard.(I'm not fussing at you - I'm fussing at people who hurl the middle son syndrome of forgottenness on my son. My son would hear people say that and then he would use it to define himself - as forgotten, looked over. So I came up with a different set of words to express what I saw, a different way of looking at it - I call it "The Cente of the Brotherhood." LOL

I did a post on it (what do you expect from a bloggy mom) - skip the picts and read about the awesomeness of being the center of the brotherhood: http://bluecottonmemory.wordpress.com/2010/03/19/the-center-of-the-brotherhood/


Happy 5th Birthday. It sounds like it was specially designed for who he is:)))))

bkbsmiles said...

I think it sounds like the Birthday boy was happy and that is what counts when all is said in done whether he picked the theme or you did. I was a middle child but my mom let me feel special on my Birthday. I loved picking out the ice cream, which was usually chocolate mint. My parties were simple but it was great to have family and sometimes friends.

Jackson was born on a very special day! --Barb Bohan