Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kitchen Fun


Ethan has been participating in speech therapy here in Omaha since August.  He has really started to catch up with (some) other kids his age and is doing great, though it is still frustrating when he does not use his words to ask for what he wants.  A huge temper tantrum is thrown and Mommy and Ethan butt heads.
Other times he does great, bringing me the GALLON of milk and a sippy cup, saying over and over, "Milk, PLEASE?" or pointing to a ball, pumpkin, Elmo, or book and saying that word on repeat (We'll save Elmo for another day...) 
Today Ms. Kathleen came over, along with a student speech therapist.  After a few minutes of play to get Ethan comfortable, my kitchen floor turned into Operation PlayDoh.  Kathleen did a great job of letting Jackson and Mia (I now babysit full time) help out, which actually allowed Ethan to practice words like my turn, 1, 2, 3, no, and next.  :)
The kids had fun making kool aid play doh.  It was really easy, too.  I think I will make another batch for Thursday when I go babysit Mia's siblings.  Or wait and let them help make it. 

Here is the recipe:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup salt
2 cups HOT water (BUT...start with 1 cup and add more if needed, ours was a bit runny so we wound up adding about another cup of flour...but if yours is too sticky, just add more flour)
2 packs kool aid, any flavor, but not the clear ones as this is the color.

Stir these together with a wooden spoon in a big bowl until you can't stir any more.  Then use your hands to finish working the dough.  When you are done playing, simply store as you would any Play Doh, in an air tight container or some sort.
Not sure the shelf life...we will find out.

2 Words to brighten my day:

Maren said...

Super, between you and Stacy, I have a few great things to do with the kids!

Stacy Hutchinson said...

This recipe sounds easier than the other one. We'll have to try it out.
BTW, your boys are adorable. I saw a Baby Gap picture of this blonde boy with spiked hair and had to look twice b/c I thought he was Brennan. Cuteness!!